Sunday, January 29, 2012

At 12,000 feet and high on some workable Spanish!

Today is my last in La Paz and has been the best day thus far on my trip. As most of my best travel days, I've spent it walking around the city. The weather was perfect, at least for La Paz, which at almost 12,000 feet you're lucky to take your jacket off. The best part was a stop at a cafe when I ordered, asked for the check, and paid using only Spanish and without any pointing at the menu. I felt especially accomplished when I heard the waitress speaking English to a couple a few minutes later, meaning I was understandable enough that she didn't switch to English! Yes, this was a rather small accomplishment, but after my limited Spanish failed me in my attempt to get a working phone the day before I needed the small boost of confidence.

Later I walked into a shop and it felt oddly familiar, like I had actually been there and I had. It was the same shop I purchased a rug in when I was in La Paz five and a half years ago. The familiarity made me feel comfortable in this foreign place and that was just what I needed.

The day is coming to an end and I'm writing this from the roof of my hostel, which should be it's biggest selling point, yet oddly enough I was unaware of it until today. I walked from one end of the central city to the other and I'm seeing a whole new world from up here. It is easy to see all ends of the spectrum from up here and it makes it that much easier to start falling in love with Bolivia.

Tomorrow will throw me something new as I travel to Cochabamba, the city I hope to be spending my next month exploring.

No comments:

Post a Comment